- 1 3/4 c. mashed banana (from very ripe bananas)
- 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 1 c. sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
FOR THE BROWNED BUTTER ICING:
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. boiling water
- 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
First, Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 or 15 cup bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it, set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg and banana, mix until combined. Second, add the flour, baking soda, and salt (speed on low). Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the sour cream, mix just until combined.
Pour batter into the prepared pan, smooth out into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a cake tester (or toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the icing, in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, add the butter. Cook until golden flecks begin to form at the bottom of the pan, then immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the powdered sugar, boiling water, and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat until frosting is easy to spread.
Drizzle frosting over cake, then immediately sprinkle with nuts. Let set for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.